Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY Faux Fireplace

One of my favorite projects we completed recently is the faux fireplace I added to my shop (booth space).  
After years of helping homeowners decorate their mantels for every holiday and season -- I knew that I not only had car-loads of mantel decor, but I also might be able to share some decorating tips through my displays.  Plus I thought it would add a cozy touch to my space :)

I was struck with the idea after I saw Sophia's shared on Apartment Therapy . . .
Source:  Apartment Therapy
Sophia was fortunate enough to have a really nice, oversized mantel available to use -- SWOON!  All the flea-market mantels I came across were WAY out of my price range -- so I decided to enlist the help of my hubby and bro-in-law to help me make one.

Here is what I used, in all the cost was less than $50 :::

  • wall mount floating shelf 48" wide (similar to this); our shelf was 10" deep that we had on display at our old house and never found a good spot for it in our new one.  I honestly do not remember where we bought it.
  • 48x48" plywood, we used 1/4" sheet as a base for the firebox surround, the shelf was mounted on top of the 48" sheet.
  • 1/8" plywood cut for firebox surround (fastened to the top of the 48" sheet)
  • Classic Pilasters from Lowe's
  • Set of 2 Corbels also from Lowe's (just used the ones I liked best with the Pilasters)
  • Nail Gun, Wood Glue, Caulk, Paint, chalk-marker and chalk.  Roller, brush etc.
I also used 2 sets of Damask Wall Accents from Southern Living at Home, that I had on hand.  This added a bit of fanciness to the fireplace surround.

Here is where you are going to have to use a bit of your imagination.  I asked my son to remove a game he installed on my phone . . . he wiped my phone, clearing my camera roll.  SO . . . I don't have all the pictures of the firebox surround coming together taken on my phone (Sorry about that).


After all the elements were attached and the mantel & firebox surround were one solid piece, 
I caulked around many of the seams.  
I also played around with the Damask Wall Accents to determine if their placement . . . 
and then I painted . . . 
. . .  and painted away.

I used Old White & Graphite Annie Sloan Chalk Paint because it was what I had on hand -- 
and it covers SO VERY WELL!

I used a piece of white kraft paper and added the measurements of my firebox, to give me an idea of how big to draw my roaring fire.  I then referred back to Sophia's fireplace and used a ruler and a sharpie to sketch out the firebox -- 
the ruler helped with the angles and bricks.
Once I was happy with how it looked I covered the back of the sketch paper with chalk 
and tapped it to my dark painted firebox. 

Using a colored pencil I traced over my sketch to transfer the image to my firebox.

I followed that up by drawing the roaring fire with a white chalk pen, 
and white chalk for shading and highlights.

I was pretty tickled with the results!


I distressed the painted damask accents a bit for character and glued them down with industrial glue.

After they were stuck in place, the fireplace was ready to install. 


We anchored it to the wall and I touched up the paint a bit -- and vacuumed the floor of course. :)


I lost of lot of the pictures I took of the fireplace all decorated in my shop when my camera phone 
was wiped clean . . . but this may give you a little idea . . . 
. . . and another.

Many other projects to share . . . so I hope you come back soon!
Thank you so much!
I am linking up with these fabulous blogs :::                                  •  Miss Mustard Seed
•  Practically Functional                                                              •  Coastal Charm
•  Savvy Southern Style                                                              •  Home Stories from AtoZ
•  It's Overflowing                                                                      •  Sumo's Sweet Stuff    
•  Nifty Thrifty Things                                                                 •  The DIY Dreamer
•  Not Just a Housewife                                                             •  Ivy & Elephants
•  DIY by Design                                                                       •  Southern Lovely
•  Fine Craft Guild                                                                     •  Cedar Hill Ranch
•  Uncommon Slice of Suburia                                                   •  From My Front Porch to Yours  
•  Stone Gable                                                                           •  Fox Hollow Cottage - Power of Pins 
•  Imparting Grace                                                                     •  Feathered Nest Friday
•  The Thrifty Groove                                                                 •  Common Ground
•  Redoux Interiors                                                                     • The Charm of Home
•  Jennifer Rizzo                                                                         • Chic on a Shoestring
•  The Shabby Nest                                                                   • Fox Hollow Cottage
•  Too Much Time on My Hands                                               • Tater Tots & Jello    
•  Pieced Pastimes                                                                     • Finding Silver Pennies  
•  Three Mango Seeds                                                               • Between Naps on the Porch
•  If it's not Baroque Design                                                        • Shades of Amber

30 comments:

  1. Your fireplace is the cutest most creative piece, love the way it looks in the room and I think it is so clever and really adds so much character...I am your newest follower and I will be back again to see what you are up to...come on over for a visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Phyllis! I am clicking to check out your blog now. So wonderful to have a new follower, and I hope to see more of you soon!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! The roaring fire is wonderful! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking to The Scoop! I love this fireplace! Where is your shop? It looks like a place near me- The Vineyards Antique Shops.
    Have a great week! :) Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha ! I am at the Vineyards (http://www.vineyardsantiquemall.com/) in Colleyville . . . Aisle Gabrielle, booth #16. I have been there since the end of September -- and having fun with it! Do you have a booth there as well? Thanks so much for making the connection!

      Delete
  5. So cool! The chalkboard fire is a wonderful touch! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! Just love it.
    I found you today thru the From My Front Porch - Treasure Hunt Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megin! I definitely will, and so happy that you connected with me! Take care!

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is a brilliant idea!! Thank you for sharing. I found your blog through the Flaunt it Friday link party, you have a great blog! I'm following along


    Meg, www.willwork4cupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan and I appreciate the follow, I am following you as well and your recipes are making me HUNGRY! :) Thanks so much

      Delete
  8. I have been seeing these around the internet. I think they are awesome. Thanks for showing how you made yours. I would love to make one, but I don't really have a place to put it. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren, I have linked up and hope you are having a great weekend! Take care :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for showing us how you did this wonderful faux fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is darling! I'd seen the other one and even though...gee...I wish I didn't have a real fireplace...I'd so do that! It's perfect for your booth space. I'd love it if you linked it up at my weekly party at Mod Vintage Life.... Mod Mix Monday....http://www.modvintagelife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will Look at you linky and so appreciate that you stopped in!
      Have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  11. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. FANtastic job! That is truly wonderful and I adore the "chalk" fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mantel and fireplace look wonderful in your booth. I love having mantels to decorate!!
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm happy to be a new follower.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! So great! It is also a great accent piece in your shop. Thanks for the tip on how to draw onto the chalkboard. I always see this great chalkboard signs and stencils and always wonder how people do that with chalk! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out fabulous!! I was scrolling down through MMS furniture party and spotted what looked just like my fireplace :) I can't believe how much our "fireplaces" look alike! I was so lucky to have my step-dad free-hand mine...I can't wait to share this with him! He'll be just tickled pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am featuring your faux fireplace on my blog today. Thanks for linking it up. The next party starts later today. I hope that you will link up again. http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.