Monday, May 21, 2012

Moody Blues Gets Rubbed 'n Buffed

DISCLAIMER ::: this post has absolutely Nothing To Do with the English rock band, Moody Blues.  So, if you happened upon this site in search of your favorite rockers, I am sorry if I disappointed you -- but I hope you take a moment to take a peek at a few decorating ideas while you are here.

Today's story is about a heavy gal who gets a makeover.  Spoiler Alert . . . here she is . . .

About 8 or 9 years ago I ran across a heavy, dark piece of wall art that was in need of a home.  I paid $15 for it at the time and I thought I could give it a new life and perhaps a makeover.

Fast forward to May 2012 and I am cleaning out the garage and there 'she' sits, covered in dust and feeling more unloved than the day I found her at Goodwill.  I sigh, realizing this is just another project on the list that will be part of my epitaph "She had BIG PLANS".  I cannot promise that my 'habit' of bringing home strays has gotten any better . . . truth be told, it may be worse! 


I proceeded to dust her off, brought her inside, along with my easel and I set her up to see if I could help her.

She was dark, rather moody, and extremely H E A V Y.  Not sure what kind of pressed wood she is created from, but I fear that she has never been hung on the wall due to her weight.

At this point, I just wanted to lighten her color up a bit.  So I pulled out some Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue Chalk paint and gave her a few coats . . .
Annie's chalk paint adhered really well, I went back in and added more paint to all the little nooks & crannies of the 'carved'? 'pressed'? leaves and limbs of the tree -- not sure what kind of tree I was supposed to be looking at, but it didn't matter.

Once the Duck Egg chalk paint was dry, I gave the 'blue' portion a coat of clear wax.
I added a wee, tiny bit of yellow (Arles) and Blue (Aubusson) to a spoonful of clear wax in hopes of adding a bit of depth to the background.
I think it helped, though not completely sure it was necessary in the end :).

While that was drying, I decided to lighten the thick, black 'frame' with some Silver Leaf Rub 'n Buff that I applied with an old toothbrush.
That made a HUGE difference!

I let the whole thing dry overnight and re-accessed the beast girl the next day.
I really liked the metallic finish the Rub 'n Buff provided, so I proceeded to add more.  'Painting' the leaves, limbs and even touching the frame with a bit of gold leaf and amethyst.
Now that I had painted her over, I had flashbacks to Edward Scissorhands when he got an AVON makeover . . .
via
. . . and needless to say, I felt the need to add some depth.  So I gave her a light brown glaze -- again, getting in all the nooks and crannies.

Still not enough depth, so I reached for My FaVoRiTe Rubb 'n Buff . . . Spanish Copper!
Much Better . . .  let's just say, 'when it doubt . . . Rub 'n Buff her out'.

Now that Cinder{Moody}ella is all dressed up . . . she unfortunately has no place to go.  So I did what most of us would do in this situation . . . Put Her On the Mantel!

Here is what was on our Humblenest Living Room Mantel Before . . .
2 Sets of Trilogy Mirrors within a rustic (hobby lobby) open frame & burlap background.
Athena Crackle Vases (love those) on each side.
I took all that down . . . and gave her the spotlight for a while.  All that I have put her through, I think she deserves it.
The Athena Crackle Vases were a bit too color strong for her, so I placed them in a new spot nearby.   I pulled out my Santorini Urn which always seems to remind me of summer -- very beachy!  The turquoise ceramic finial to the far right is from Save on Crafts, a few years back.  I placed the finial on top of a decorative butterfly box from Michael's.
I cannot remember where I picked up this iron bird from, but I use her a lot . . .
. . . and the candleholder I scored from a Miss Mustard Seed Pick on Decor Steals recently (indeed a dangerous email to open on a daily basis!).
I think the Moody Girl is happy with the Blues, and though she may still be H E A V Y she definitely looks better being lighter!

Not sure if I'll keep her or not, but I had fun giving her a makeover just the same.  If Mr V can promise he can hang her above our bed without fear of her falling on us, then she will have a spot in our Master Bedroom Suite re-do. . . hopefully I will get that off my 'to do list' this year!
I'm Linking Up!
•  My entry into {nifty thrifty sunday} is sponsored by Appliances Online and their Fridges.
•  Homemaker on a Dime, Creative Blog Hop
•  DiY Project Parade at DiY Showoff
•  I Heart Naptime's Sundae Scoop
•  Stylish Once Again, ReStyled Sundays
•  Making the World Cuter Monday's
•  Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
•  Creative Me at the Southern Institute
•  Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
•  Meet me Monday at You are Talking Too Much
•  Show it Off at Get Out of My Head {Please}
•  Debbie Doo's Newbie Party
•  Our Delightful Home's Show Me What You Got Party
•  Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures
•  Made By You Monday's at Skip to my Lou
•  Today's Creative Blog -- Make Something Creative
•  Ask Anna's Weekend Warrior Party
•  Kammy's Korner Trash to Treasure Tuesdays
•  Sugar Bee Crafts' Take a Look Tuesday
•  One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons
•  Cowgirl Up at Cedar Hill Ranch
•  Creatively Living:  Tell it to Me Tuesdays
•  Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday
•  Beneath my Heart's Best DIY Projects of May
•  Thrifty Decor Chick's Before & After Party
•  Home Stores AtoZ Summer Mantel Party
•  Shades of Amber Chalk Paint Party

32 comments:

  1. Susie, AMAZING transformation! Love the color and the "aged" feel to the piece...perfect! Found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I am happy to be now following your lovely blog. :-) Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW! Thanks Sharla for coming by and sharing the love! I so appreciate a new follower and your comment about my wall decor. I had fun giving her new life -- so glad you found me, thanks to DebbieDoo's :)
      Have a fabulous weekend, take care!
      Susie

      Delete
  2. Susie, wow that is a great before and after, and I am so glad you included some Johnny Depp too :) Here from Kammy's Korner and following you now :)

    Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tanya! I love me some Johnny Depp and it was just too appropriate not to include poor Edwards AVON makeover :)
      I greatly appreciate the follow -- thanks for stopping by!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  3. LOVE the new color! Amazing update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie, After seeing how wonderful your artwork looks now I could kick myself for passing up something similar that I saw at a thrift. I picked it up and pondered as to what to do. I'm going back today and hoping it's still there.

    I love it.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you were able to snag that piece you passed up Sissie, I would love to see it if so :)

      So glad you stopped by! Have a fabulous weekend
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  5. Susie, this art is fantastic. What a difference the color makes. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party. I see you are newbie spotlight of the week as well over at Fox Hollow cottage. Congrats!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW! thanks DebbieDoo for giving me and many other NewBies the opportunity to find each other and link up our blogs :)
      I am THRILLED to be in the Newbie Spotlight at Fox Hollow Cottage! What a treat!
      Blessings to you -- I hope you and your family have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend.
      Take Care - ♥ Susie

      Delete
  6. I have to say that you sure gave that artwork a second life...a second much more beautiful life! You did a super job. Stopping over from Fox Hollow Cottage...congrats on being the Spotlight of the Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Gina! So appreciate you stopping by and yes, I am thrilled with the Newbie spotlight! Having lots of fun, and this poor wall decor piece deserved a second life. Thanks again -- hope you have a fabulous weekend!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  7. Susie, it looks great! With all your extra touches, it looks perfect! Found you Fox Hollow's Newbie spotlight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower of my fb page :) that means so much! I enjoy all your posts and hope to touch base with you again soon!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  8. Brillant idea. If I hadn't seen the before I would have never known how it looked before. You made this art beautiful. Congrats on the Newbie Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie- you are AWESOME! You knocked this Artwork OUTTA the Park- Grand Slam Lady! Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo - Grand Slam is a HUGE Compliment, Thank you!
      Have a fabulous weekend!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous focal point on your mantel! She may be heavy, but she knows how to work it!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That she does ;)
      Thanks for swinging by! Have a fabulous weekend
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  11. I love what you did with this piece. I love ASCP and also love using rub n buff. Can't beat it. Got tickled at the Edward Scissorhands comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Johnny Depp and it was just too appropriate not to include poor Edwards AVON makeover :)
      The combination of ASCP and Rub'nBuff worked well for this and both are SO EASY to work with YAY!
      Thanks Kim for stopping in
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  12. BTW, forgot to tell you I have the same candle holder. Would love for you to link up to my Wow Us Wednesdays party, too some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Love that Candleholder (I am sure you do as well)
      I will definitely link up to Savvy Southern Style again soon.
      Enjoy a fabulous weekend!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for linking up to Make the Scene Monday....you are being featured today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW! This is fabulous news! Love your blog and thank you for hosting the Monday Linky Party!
      I greatly appreciate the feature, and so glad that you stopped in for a closer peek!
      Take care and have a fabulous weekend
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  14. I love wht you did with this piece. I would have passed right by this if I'd seen it at one of my shops. I would never have thought to transform it the way you did. Well done! I found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party and I'm one of your latest followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy -- It was a fun-makeover and I so appreciate the follow!
      Hope you are having a fabulous weeekend!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  15. Absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the makeover!

    Thanks for sharing
    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  16. What vision you have to be able to see the future in that project. Simply stunning makeover.
    I am featuring you at Restyled Sundays. Hope to see you there again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giddy! Thank you Ann! I am tickled that my makeover is included in your Sunday features!
      Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie