Tuesday, September 25, 2012

All Hallow's Eve Table

When it comes to All Hallow's Eve, I lean towards spooky, not horror and I am a big fan of suspense.
Cute is not only discouraged, it is practically forbidden by my family of critics . . . 
SKULLS . . . Yes, Smiling Jack-o-Lanterns . . . not so much.  


The dripping candles were very inexpensive -- they are toilet paper rolls.  As as I see in the daylight, my impatience is showing as they all could of used another coat of spray paint (Oops!).

I followed these directions from Crafts Unleashed.  Super simple, all you need is a TP roll, scissors, hot glue and spray paint.  For the black candles, I covered the candle 'wick' with a piece of tape and I spray painted the battery operated light too.  I stuffed cotton balls inside the tubes to allow the little lights to be at the perfect height.  I even put a small bead of hot glue on the base of the black ones to adhere to the metal Lyric Candelabra -- knowing the hot glue will pop off of the metal when I want it to.

All the small crows are from Dollar Tree - bought just this past week. And the large crow I have had for years -- thinking I bought him from Grandinroad, but not completely sure.
Originally the center Tiered Stand was decorated for a Willow House WHINGO Party (Willow House Prized Bingo) . . . sorry for the shoddy picture, this was taken at the very end of the night . . . . zzzzzz.
I wanted to add to the centerpiece for an upcoming Halloween Party's buffet table.

The small cages are called Lollie Lanterns, and I spray-painted them as well
(pretty much nothing is safe with me) with a matte black.    I added an branch to mingle
with the stand to give it more of a tree-like appearance.
I love how the crows' and raven's eyes seem to follow you  . . . 


For the table covering, I picked up some cheese cloth at Target and 'grayified' it. 
I opened it up completely and then wadded it into a ball and put it in a bowl of water.  
I squirted out some gray craft paint into one hand and picked up the wet cheese cloth 
with the other, squeezed out some of the water and then wiped my gray painted hands all over it. 
I reopened up the cheese cloth, and hung it out to dry (which took no time at all).  
Cheaper than Halloween gauze.

I really like how the cheese cloth lays across the table like fog.

The smiling skeleton coming out of the coffin was purchased from Red Envelope years ago . . .
the candles always burn too quickly, so I will need to find small tapers with battery operated lights for it.

Thimble Domes hold another smiling skeleton buddy -- one that lost his head, on a bed of Spanish Moss.

Black Roses add an elegant touch in a 'Mercury Glass' Votive Holder

How do you decorate for Halloween?  Spooky, Cute or Horror?  I'd love to hear your tips!

As ALWAYS -- Thank You for Stopping By!

Tabletop Sources :::
•  White Tablecloth - cheap-y from efavormart.com
•  Raven flocked table runner - Pottery Barn several years back
•  Cheesecloth from Target 2 square yards $2.49 (in kitchen utensil area)
•  Lyric Candelabra from Willow House
•  Green Glittery Spider from Michael's
•  Willow Sprig Tiered Stand from Willow House
•  Manzanita Branch from Save-on-Crafts 
•  Lollie Lanterns from Willow House (spray painted black)
•  Spanish Moss from Hobby Lobby
•  Small Crows from Dollar Tree
•  'Mercury Glass' Celestial Votives from Willow House
•  Small Skeleton Heads from Pier 1 Imports a few years back, Michaels had similar ones
 Small Glass Amelia Thimble Domes from Willow House
•  Skeleton coming out of coffin from Red Envelope several years back


Linking Up With ::: 
•  Bloom 

20 comments:

  1. WOW! I love all the details that went into making such a wonderful and cool looking spooky display.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheesecloth tip is awesome! We are spooky for sure at our house. I just decorated dollar store skeleton heads and they look fantastic, but I now I have to pick up some cheesecloth for my table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ♥ it! What a great tablescape! So fun! Hopped over from I Gotta Create and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♥♥♥ I can't say how much I ♥ this! Our family loves spooky, too. I pinned this. So many great ideas I'm going to steal LOL Please share this at my link party! http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/09/pin-inspiration-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hosting an It's Fall Y'all ~ Linky Party. I would love for you to share this, and any other Fall projects you have! Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an amazing set up! toilet paper rolls-that's genius, and you would never know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your spooky 'scape!! Great idea using toilet paper rolls to make candles!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOH I love this spooky tablescape! Such fun details! Scary crows, smiling skeletons! It is awesome a, I love your tip about fraying the cheesecloth! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday! Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant to say graying not fraying..I can't get used to typing on my iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks awesome!!!!! I love all the details, especially those black flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooo that IS spooky! Love all the black, with the punch of orange from the candles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So loving you mantel, the black and white candles an so freakin loving the crows! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are way ahead of me to already have a Halloween table. I want your birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've included so many fun and spooky elements in this tablescape. The crows take over the top. They're awesome! Definitely might need to add a few to my Halloween design.

    I wanted to invite you to share this project on my blog, Confetti Diaries, link party this week. I think it would be great Halloween inspiration for my readers. We hope to see you there!

    http://confettidiaries.com/2012/09/wednesdays-goody-bag-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your vignette !!! It's perfect - spooky but not gruesome.

    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how spooky AND fun this is! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delightfully creepy! The skeleton candle holder is my favorite part. My weekly linky party--One Creative Weekend--has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tp roll candles rock! You are a STAR today! I'm featuring you over at I Gotta Create! Thanks so much for linking up at the party. Your STAR button is ready for you ;)

    <3 Christina
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/10/jeepers-creepers-peepers-and-more.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie