Thursday, September 27, 2012

Simple Autumn Mantel

Changing out our mantel decor happens about as often as I clean out our vacuum cleaner container.
I like to keep my family guessing what I did on any given day.  
In fact, I opened up a booth recently at an 'Antique' Mall and immediately built and installed a mantel upon taking 'ownership'.  I will definitely share that soon -- as it was a really fun project to work on.
This year, our Fall / Halloween / Thanksgiving, and yes even Christmas decorating will be based on 
what we already own.  Which, admittedly, can be a bit tough for me -- so try to hold me to it okay?

This is our Faux Fall, Familiar Favorites Mantel.

I first added a thin burlap 'scarf' to the mantel for warmth.  It is just a burlap remnant from some leftover yardage.  It measures 7" x 114" (including the frayed gathered ends) -- took minutes to create and 
I use it throughout the year when I want to soften a combination of materials or add texture and warmth.
I topped the scarf with a framed ornate metal wall hanging that came with the burlap backing.
I bought it years ago at a local decorator's sample sale.  
It has a crack in the wood frame - that is hardly noticeable. 

Next I included a few sprigs of dancing orchids to one of my favorite glass & metal hurricanes.
Nestled in a ceramic cat figurine that was my Mother in law's and the Chalk Paint Planter I made-over 
a few month back -- it just added a burlap wrapped pot of preserved mustard seed yellow yarrow stems
 Candlelight is a must, and the glow comes from a ceramic luminary trio 
that also adds the perfect touch of color.
Finally a white ceramic pitcher filled with pheasant feathers helps to visually balance the right side with a tall, thin hurricane filled with small gourds, preserved leaves and a bit of reindeer moss.
Quick, simple and on on hand.  Let's see if my husband and son notice it ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by --
Hope you are having a fabulous time decorating for fall!
Linking Up With :::

1 comment:

  1. Susie, your mantel is beautiful. I especially love the tasseled burlap mantel scarf!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie