Monday, April 30, 2012

Chalk Paint Planter & Flower Tower Topiary!

At my local grocers this morning I saw them unpacking their shipment of fresh cut flowers -- so I snagged a few (sad) Alstroemeria Bunches to give my home a little Monday Happy ☼!
UPDATE ::: Flowers opening up nicely -- even Happier Tuesday :)
I decided to add them to a terracotta planter that got a makeover this past weekend . . .
Corner of Mantel with Fresh Flowers = Monday Happy ☼

Here is the Santorini Planter (it's official name) playing happily in our Den at Christmas . . .
I add small Santa hats randomly to prints, pictures and characters in our house (I use Simply Tacky to tack them on). 
Our Maribel Tabletop Clock counts down the time to Santa's arrival. Here the Santorini Planter with Innsbrook ornaments, berries & juniper sprigs.)
I love the profile of this planter -- just not so jazzed about the burnt red color for spring or summer.  Luckily the planter was an incredible steal of $12.96 earlier this month -- so I thought I would snag one and paint it.
 
I started by giving it 2 quick coats of chalk paint (Annie Sloan's Old White -- giving it rather an eggshell appearance), letting it dry . . .
. . . then adding a coat of clear wax . . . waiting a wee bit . . . then I distressed slightly, letting some of the red show through.
I then added a touch of dark wax . . . waited a bit and then buffed it with a soft cloth.  So Easy!  I really, really like the smooth finish and touch of shine, yet it still was a bit roughed up . . . Rustic Elegance if you will . . . perfect (for me anyway :).
The alstroemeria flowers -- which were flat as a pancake this morning -- are starting to fluff up thanks to trimming their stems and giving them a good long drink while the wet floral foam soaked in the sink.
I inserted a foil plant wrapper  (left over from Christmas poinsettias -- I guess I am a bit frugal :)inside the newly painted planter . . .
. . . trimmed the floral foam to fit snuggly inside, and then start adding the flowers to their new home.
I already had a place in mind for the floral arrangement to go, so I knew I needed to go big.  This one corner of the mantel in our den is within my line of sight anytime I am in our kitchen -- and it needed a little happy ☼. 
I decided to make a tall fresh flower topiary with the alstroemerias (which are now less sad thanks to fresh air and water).  I striped the leaves off the bottom 3/4 of the stems to make the topiary.
After I inserted 1 bunch of the trimmed flowers into the wet foam, I tied them together with a bit of green raffia, and added wet moss to the top (to hold moisture in -- and to hid the foam).
I snipped a few groupings of flowers and poked each into the wet foam -- until I had a nice covering.
It gives the corner of the mantel a bit of happy and it will easily last a week if I water it regularly.
I always seem to need something tall for this spot -- the ceiling is high and it is such a narrow space it is awkward to accessorize.
I am uber pleased with this mini-makeover.  I really like the change a little dab of paint, wax and sandpaper were able to achieve.  I can't wait to tackle some of the bigger chalkpaint projects I have lined up . . .
indoor shot . . . looks a bit dark . . .
. . . outdoor shot . . . more true to the color of the finish color of the planter.
. . . but for now, I am tickled with my Monday Happy!
I even had a few stems of flowers left to include in an Italian Ruffle Container on the books in the den . . . :)  Hmmm . . . I should change this spot up more often, don't you think?

Thanks for stopping by!  I apologize in advance for the poor quality of these photos.  Someone keeps eyeing me whenever I walk outside . . .
. . . and my lighting isn't the best indoors on overcast days.    Psst . . . our mourning dove couple are the proud parents of two babies (that are growing fast!).
See what I mean!
I am linking up with :::

 
AND . . . I can't believe I ALMost Forgot!  We Have a Winner of the French Wire Carousel Caddy Giveaway!  Congratulations to Theresa J!  Woo Hoo!  So tickled for her :)  Thank you to all of you who entered and shared how you would use the caddy!

20 comments:

  1. What a pretty planter! Im visiting from Not just a housewife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Rachael :) I am finding all sorts of wonderful blogs to follow and link to. I appreciate your compliment, I think it is a spring-y upgrade :)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty! I love painting with chalk paint, but on terra cotta it looks really neat. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! Excited to find your site, ideas and offerings -- I greatly appreciate you stopping in for a hello!

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty post! Loving the planters and the wonderful finish on them... the flowers look gorgeous in it. Very petty vignettes you have created with these planters:) Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day! Visiting from The Fine Craft Guild party:)~Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Poppy! So happy you stopped by :) I really enjoyed refinishing the planter and flower arrangements are always fun to do! Take care ♥

      Delete
  4. It turned out beautiful. I found you on Oopsey Daisy and I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa! So appreciate that you are a new follower :) glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous transformation! I love how light it is now and the bushes are beautiful in it! Thanks so much for linking up with us this week! I can't wait to see what you will be up to next!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish! I greatly appreciate you & Bonnie hosting your linky parties! I always find wonderful inspirations from you and your followers. Take care ♥ and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. It's amazing white a little white paint can do. Great planter and your flower arranging skills are top notch. I absolutely love your topiary! It is so beautiful! (Cute idea with the Santa hats, too.) Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow and the wonderful compliment! I am a new following of Charming Zebra as well - cute cute cute (as well as charming). Happy to have the connection!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Tablescaper :) the flowers are still gorgeous and it has almost been a full week (yippee!)

      Delete
  8. Wow - nice job. A little bit of paint does go a long way!! I really like the way it looks now and good job with the topiary. I'm your newest follower.

    Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime. I hope to see you back next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Betsy, so happy to have the connection, and I appreciate the follow :) Yes, I hope to see you again soon as well!

      Delete
  9. Your planter and topiary look great Susie! I love the barely distressed look you did and that you added some of the dark wax as well.

    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! What a wonderful compliment -- you inspire me so, and I greatly appreciate the linky party you host. Hope you are having a great week :)
      Take Care
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  10. This topiary of alstroemerias is just striking! Such a great idea to change out that planter too. I do love the red color but I know what you mean about lightening things up for spring and summer.

    I love birds and enjoy when the doves are nesting nearby and I get to see there babes grow up. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It caters for customers around the world like myself who are looking to decorate with art reproductions, as we know
    that real art can be pretty pricey these days.

    From this site's archive of the work of hundreds of artists held there as digital images from which to print from, I had fun
    browsing by genre, category and subject matter of the paintings.

    It's probably not the way that those in the know choose artwork, but I chose by the predominant color of the painting to
    match my light-blue walls.

    And I found this beautiful painting of the Eastern Bluebird by John James Audubon, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8BWLLB, that my
    birdwatcher husband also is very pleased with.

    I could choose the right frame online and the print was delivered in good time to my home.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie