Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY Faux Fireplace

One of my favorite projects we completed recently is the faux fireplace I added to my shop (booth space).  
After years of helping homeowners decorate their mantels for every holiday and season -- I knew that I not only had car-loads of mantel decor, but I also might be able to share some decorating tips through my displays.  Plus I thought it would add a cozy touch to my space :)

I was struck with the idea after I saw Sophia's shared on Apartment Therapy . . .
Source:  Apartment Therapy
Sophia was fortunate enough to have a really nice, oversized mantel available to use -- SWOON!  All the flea-market mantels I came across were WAY out of my price range -- so I decided to enlist the help of my hubby and bro-in-law to help me make one.

Here is what I used, in all the cost was less than $50 :::

  • wall mount floating shelf 48" wide (similar to this); our shelf was 10" deep that we had on display at our old house and never found a good spot for it in our new one.  I honestly do not remember where we bought it.
  • 48x48" plywood, we used 1/4" sheet as a base for the firebox surround, the shelf was mounted on top of the 48" sheet.
  • 1/8" plywood cut for firebox surround (fastened to the top of the 48" sheet)
  • Classic Pilasters from Lowe's
  • Set of 2 Corbels also from Lowe's (just used the ones I liked best with the Pilasters)
  • Nail Gun, Wood Glue, Caulk, Paint, chalk-marker and chalk.  Roller, brush etc.
I also used 2 sets of Damask Wall Accents from Southern Living at Home, that I had on hand.  This added a bit of fanciness to the fireplace surround.

Here is where you are going to have to use a bit of your imagination.  I asked my son to remove a game he installed on my phone . . . he wiped my phone, clearing my camera roll.  SO . . . I don't have all the pictures of the firebox surround coming together taken on my phone (Sorry about that).


After all the elements were attached and the mantel & firebox surround were one solid piece, 
I caulked around many of the seams.  
I also played around with the Damask Wall Accents to determine if their placement . . . 
and then I painted . . . 
. . .  and painted away.

I used Old White & Graphite Annie Sloan Chalk Paint because it was what I had on hand -- 
and it covers SO VERY WELL!

I used a piece of white kraft paper and added the measurements of my firebox, to give me an idea of how big to draw my roaring fire.  I then referred back to Sophia's fireplace and used a ruler and a sharpie to sketch out the firebox -- 
the ruler helped with the angles and bricks.
Once I was happy with how it looked I covered the back of the sketch paper with chalk 
and tapped it to my dark painted firebox. 

Using a colored pencil I traced over my sketch to transfer the image to my firebox.

I followed that up by drawing the roaring fire with a white chalk pen, 
and white chalk for shading and highlights.

I was pretty tickled with the results!


I distressed the painted damask accents a bit for character and glued them down with industrial glue.

After they were stuck in place, the fireplace was ready to install. 


We anchored it to the wall and I touched up the paint a bit -- and vacuumed the floor of course. :)


I lost of lot of the pictures I took of the fireplace all decorated in my shop when my camera phone 
was wiped clean . . . but this may give you a little idea . . . 
. . . and another.

Many other projects to share . . . so I hope you come back soon!
Thank you so much!
I am linking up with these fabulous blogs :::                                  •  Miss Mustard Seed
•  Practically Functional                                                              •  Coastal Charm
•  Savvy Southern Style                                                              •  Home Stories from AtoZ
•  It's Overflowing                                                                      •  Sumo's Sweet Stuff    
•  Nifty Thrifty Things                                                                 •  The DIY Dreamer
•  Not Just a Housewife                                                             •  Ivy & Elephants
•  DIY by Design                                                                       •  Southern Lovely
•  Fine Craft Guild                                                                     •  Cedar Hill Ranch
•  Uncommon Slice of Suburia                                                   •  From My Front Porch to Yours  
•  Stone Gable                                                                           •  Fox Hollow Cottage - Power of Pins 
•  Imparting Grace                                                                     •  Feathered Nest Friday
•  The Thrifty Groove                                                                 •  Common Ground
•  Redoux Interiors                                                                     • The Charm of Home
•  Jennifer Rizzo                                                                         • Chic on a Shoestring
•  The Shabby Nest                                                                   • Fox Hollow Cottage
•  Too Much Time on My Hands                                               • Tater Tots & Jello    
•  Pieced Pastimes                                                                     • Finding Silver Pennies  
•  Three Mango Seeds                                                               • Between Naps on the Porch
•  If it's not Baroque Design                                                        • Shades of Amber

31 comments:

  1. Your fireplace is the cutest most creative piece, love the way it looks in the room and I think it is so clever and really adds so much character...I am your newest follower and I will be back again to see what you are up to...come on over for a visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Phyllis! I am clicking to check out your blog now. So wonderful to have a new follower, and I hope to see more of you soon!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! The roaring fire is wonderful! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, appreciate that you stopped in!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking to The Scoop! I love this fireplace! Where is your shop? It looks like a place near me- The Vineyards Antique Shops.
    Have a great week! :) Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha ! I am at the Vineyards (http://www.vineyardsantiquemall.com/) in Colleyville . . . Aisle Gabrielle, booth #16. I have been there since the end of September -- and having fun with it! Do you have a booth there as well? Thanks so much for making the connection!

      Delete
  5. So cool! The chalkboard fire is a wonderful touch! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will Lisa, thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful! Just love it.
    I found you today thru the From My Front Porch - Treasure Hunt Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megin! I definitely will, and so happy that you connected with me! Take care!

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is a brilliant idea!! Thank you for sharing. I found your blog through the Flaunt it Friday link party, you have a great blog! I'm following along


    Meg, www.willwork4cupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan and I appreciate the follow, I am following you as well and your recipes are making me HUNGRY! :) Thanks so much

      Delete
  8. I have been seeing these around the internet. I think they are awesome. Thanks for showing how you made yours. I would love to make one, but I don't really have a place to put it. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren, I have linked up and hope you are having a great weekend! Take care :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for showing us how you did this wonderful faux fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is darling! I'd seen the other one and even though...gee...I wish I didn't have a real fireplace...I'd so do that! It's perfect for your booth space. I'd love it if you linked it up at my weekly party at Mod Vintage Life.... Mod Mix Monday....http://www.modvintagelife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will Look at you linky and so appreciate that you stopped in!
      Have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  11. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. FANtastic job! That is truly wonderful and I adore the "chalk" fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mantel and fireplace look wonderful in your booth. I love having mantels to decorate!!
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm happy to be a new follower.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! So great! It is also a great accent piece in your shop. Thanks for the tip on how to draw onto the chalkboard. I always see this great chalkboard signs and stencils and always wonder how people do that with chalk! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out fabulous!! I was scrolling down through MMS furniture party and spotted what looked just like my fireplace :) I can't believe how much our "fireplaces" look alike! I was so lucky to have my step-dad free-hand mine...I can't wait to share this with him! He'll be just tickled pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am featuring your faux fireplace on my blog today. Thanks for linking it up. The next party starts later today. I hope that you will link up again. http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing, what exactly are damask wall accents? Where can I find them and do they have other styles?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie