Saturday, March 9, 2013

Easy Easter Tree Centerpiece

I picked up some mercury glass mini Easter eggs from Pottery Barn on clearance a while back 
and just ran across them (again) the other day . . .tucked away {I have a habit of tucking things 
away and forgetting about them -- you too?}

Realizing I didn't have a way of displaying them I decided to create a little Easter tree centerpiece.

I literally snagged a branch from the backyard and gave it a quick sanding, followed by a quick coat 
of Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (I didn't have any spray paint on hand, but
that would of worked too).

I added the branch to a terra-cotta planter that I previously painted in Old White, as shown here
using some floral foam and a bit of hot glue.

I decided to cover the floral foam with left-over artificial grass I bought at Hobby Lobby.  
I had used some of the grass previously in my Sister's Brunch Centerpiece.

It was easy to cover the foam with this grass.  I just pulled it off the plastic frame and added a 
large dollop of hot glue to the flat base and held it on the foam for a few seconds . . . 
working around the branch until all the foam was covered.
To add a bit of Spring to my bare white branch, I pulled a few buds & blooms off 
a silk cherry blossom branch that had seen better days. 
{why yes, I do have a closet full of faux florals . . . why do you ask?}
I used hot glue to add these blooms to my new Easter tree.


The mini eggs look dazzling on their new tree.

The Egg Hunt sign, is a mini-chalkboard on a stick I recently bought from Pick Your Plum.
I gave it a quick swipe with Old White Chalk Paint and used a chalk marker to write on it.


I am pretty happy with my little Easter tree -- 
so much so that I made two and added one to my booth space.

Thank you for stopping in! I would love to hear from you, and will be sharing more soon!
6 Days of Spring Linky Party!
Say Not Sweet Anne                                                                      • Sumo's Sweet Stuff                                                              
Homemaker on a Dime                                                                   • Under the Table & Dreaming
• Practically Functional                                                                      • Coastal Charm
Savvy Southern Style                                                                      • Home Stories from AtoZ
DIY Showoff                                                                                  • It's Overflowing
• Nifty Thrifty Things                                                                         • The DIY Dreamer
• Not Just a Housewife                                                                      • Ivy & Elephants
DIY by Design                                                                                • Southern Lovely
We Are That Family                                                                        • Fine Craft Guild
• Cedar Hill Ranch                                                                             • Uncommon Slice of Suburia
Design Decor Tuesday                                                                    • From My Front Porch to Yours
• Stone Gable                                                                                    • Mom on Time-out
• Imparting Grace                                                                              • The Thrifty Groove
Common Ground                                                                            • Redoux Interiors
• The Charm of Home                                                                       • Jennifer Rizzo
• Chic on a Shoestring                                                                       • Between Naps on the Porch
• The Shabby Nest                                                                            • Fox Hollow Cottage
Too Much Time on My Hands                                                        • Tater Tots & Jello   
The Tablescaper                                                                             • Pieced Pastimes                                                               
• Finding Silver Pennies                                                                      • Three Mango Seeds
At the Picket Fence

19 comments:

  1. Great job, Susie!! It is so fun. I love the urn and the branches and the whimsy you created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! It has been a welcome addition to our table. I hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting and linking up at Creative Crafts Thursday! I hope you don't mind that I pinned your entry.

    And I hope you'll join me for my Friday Flash Blog at The Jenny Evolution. Another terrific place to show off your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I will check out the Friday Flash Blog. Hope you are having a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I love it. It really turned out sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job and so clever. I, especially, like the added Cherry blossoms, since the annual Cherry Blossom festival opened in my city on Friday. Thanks for sharing your cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cherry Blossoms as well and it really helped to add the spring touch! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Love your Easter tree. I especially liked the cherry blossoms.
    Have a nice week,
    Bev
    @http://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev -- I visited your blog and am a new follower. Nice to make the connection :) Hope you are having a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Susie! This is my first visit to your blog via The Tablescaper's Seasonal Sunday blog party. After dropping off my own post, I like to peek through and see what others are up to. Your tree caught my eye right away! You really did a great job with it, and I'm impressed that you had the patience to pull and glue each little tuft of grass!!! You made that sound so much easier than what it probably was! :-) I have heard a lot about this Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I have never seen it or used it, but I think I'll have to hunt it down. I'm not much of a DIYer or crafter, but it seems like this could come in handy for a few things around here as I'm trying to both save money AND save space by not buying anything else. I really like the terra cotta planter the tree is in, too. It has a very pleasing shape to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alycia, it really wasn't as tedious as it may have seemed :) Those are big tufts of grass! Thanks so much for stopping in, I am anxious to check out your blog and see what you have been working on. Take care :)

      Delete
  7. So pretty!! I'm your newest follower ;)
    Jamie ~ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty. I love the white tree and the beautiful eggs. Simple Easter decorating! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle, thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  9. This is so very pretty! Thank you for sharing it--I'm pinning it to my Easter board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww -- thanks Richella :) Hope your Easter is beautiful!

      Delete
  10. What an amazing job!

    Wonderful to have you be a part of SEASONAL SUNDAYS!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie