Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quick, Grab Your Paint {Sconce Makeover}

A quick story about a little resin sconce that wanted to be noticed . . .

My office is paneled . . .
I love the warmth of wood paneling in certain spaces -- and this is one of those spaces :)
. . . and in desperate need of a makeover.  But I have yet to envision the end result -- but I know the built in bookcase will be a part of it.

Above I had a cross to the far left on the wall -- I picked up this sconce for a great price and thought a little candlelight would be a nice touch on the wall.

And yes, candlelight is nice, but the sconce almost blended in to the wall :( and was ignored unless a candle was lit.  It really just needed some COLOR ☼.
I mixed up a bit of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint -- attempting to match the Chief's turquoise pants.  I didn't have any Provence on hand, so I used Aubusson Blue and Arles Yellow with a wee bit of Old White . . . and the result was not too far off :)

I painted the sconce and gave it a colorful new life.  Then I sanded it . . .
. . . to highlight it's beautiful curves.

And gave it a bit of brown glaze . . .
. . .  to show off it's 'carved' details.

And the turquoise sconce now lives happily on the wall getting the attention it so desperately was seeking.
The End!
Psst -- any hints on what color the built-in bookcase / credenza should be?   All suggestions welcome . . . what about a washed black (with lots of wood grain showing)?

Linking Up With :::

8 comments:

  1. The sconce looks so good! I love the color. I think white might be interesting for the bookcase, or you could do a bright color! But a washed black could look really good also.

    Morgan

    P.S. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Come to my blog and check it out! http://missdiymonster.blogspot.com/2012/06/when-things-go-from-good-to-great.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow Thanks Morgan! I am Tickled and Honored! I will definitely check it out.
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  2. Hi Susie! Visiting from Miss DIY Monster - congrats on receiving the liebster award! Love the colors you painted this sconce! So pretty in the turquoise and glaze! Isn't it amazing what simple paint can do? Hope you have a great week and please swing by my blog and say hello if you have a chance! Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Heather!! Paint is definitely my friend!
      I will swing by your blog today! Thanks
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  3. Hi Susie! I love the change you made with the sconce! It looks so nice compared to the one blending into the wood. And your chief is a wonderful piece of art! Great color inspiration too! If the bookcase is a dark color I think if it will contain darker items they will become lost visually. With a lighter bookcase anything shows up better. That's a lot of gorgeous wood there and it would be hard for me to paint over it, but I understand that sometimes we just need a change. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :) Regarding the bookcase -- all the casegoods will be removed, many no longer belong in the room. I agree with you about the gorgeous wood, just wish that built in didn't blend in so much.
      I so appreciate you stopping in and sharing thoughts. Hope you are having a wonderful week!
      ♥ Susie

      Delete
  4. Hi Susie, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, I am so pleased you stopped in and followed! Can't wait to see what you've been up to. Take care ♥ Susie

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.
♥ Susie